Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket       

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Repurposed Crayons

Buddy boys is having a birthday coming up in March. I have plans for his party but where I work full time if I don't get at it early I just can't seem to pull it off. He's turning three and this will be his first Big Boy party with friends so I want to make it fun for him. I'm doing a Bob the Builder theme. This crayons are going to be part of the party favors once I get it all together.


The first thing I did was ask the Librarian at Church to raid the kids crayons that she no longer was using or in need of. She gave me a big bucket full of them so this made this project really inexpensive to do. I really love that about do it yourself projects. You will need to bunch like colors together and remove the paper from them.

I saved a can from the Christmas baking I did. You can use any shape and size can you can get your hands on. If you wanted to you could get multiple cans going at the same time. So break up your crayons and put them in the tin can. Place the can in a pot of boiling water. You need about 2 inches of water in it. You don't want the can to float.

Let the wax crayons melt into a liquid and use a toothpick to stir it around and make sure there are no unmelted clumps in there. This will also help the colour be uniform if you are using different shades of the same colour.
You will need a mold. I bought a chocolate mold off eBay for about five dollars total including shipping. That was the only expense I had with this fun project. Place your mold on parchment paper on a baking sheet. If you happen to spill wax there will be no clean up required.
Pour the wax in the mold and let it sit until it hardens. You can speed the process up by placing the mold in the fridge or freezer.
Keep repeating the process until you get all the desired colours you need. This took me about 3 hours to do them all. If you live in Halifax and want to give this a try I have extra crayons you can have.

3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea!!!! You amaze me. I've always wanted to try this so I might have to go through the buckets I have around here and do some up for the next birthday party!!! I'm all about saving some money......

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great Nancy!!! I am sure the kids will LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea. I've heard of remaking crayons but I never would of thought of the molds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts